[Buddha-l] encyclopedic vs. ["Kwatz!"]

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Mar 19 09:48:50 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 07:45 -0800, Gary Gach wrote:

> Interviewed at 3AM PST (morning drive time, east coast) on a
> nationally syndicated network, my host's questions were all
> rapid-fire.

Thanks for telling us that story, Gary. It brought back memories of a
time I was on a nationwide talk show in Canada (which, thank God, no one
ever listens to). I had been asked to come in to discuss the Buddhist
concept of forgiveness and then take some calls. The host of the program
apparently got his cues mixed. He introduced me and his first question
was "And so what is YOUR solution to the problem in the Middle East?"

My innards turned immediately to ice water, and I felt as though some
evil dentist had suddenly shot my entire head full of Novocain.
Completely incapable of voluntary muscular movement of any kind, I
quickly put my mouth on automatic pliot. Out of the fog of panic I heard
my squeaky voice say (several octaves above its usual range) "I see that
situation as an opportunity to practice the Buddhist teachings on
forgiveness." The talk-show host's eyes got very wide, as he realized he
had asked a question that was meant to be asked another guest, who
happened to be an expert on Middle Eastern affairs. The host and I both
starting grinning like the Cheshire cat, and I went on to talk about
forgiveness and how it might be applied to the situation in the Middle
East.

Somehow it almost worked. My friends and colleagues all congratulated me
the text day on delivering the largest lode of namby-pamby naive
platitudes they had ever heard in thirty seconds of radio. Some
suggested I should consider running for dean, or maybe even prime
minister. Instead I decided to run for a position that has REAL power
and influence in this world. I became an administrator of buddha-l.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy