[Buddha-l] Rational or mythological Buddhism and Western Buddhistlay practice

Per Drougge per.drougge at socant.su.se
Tue Mar 22 09:17:51 MST 2005

Just a few random comments on Mikael Aktor's thoughts:

> The problem, in short, is that meditation as part of virtuosi practice is
> inseparable from a virtuosi lifestyle (monastic, renunciate, celibate
> etc.), and that such practice when becoming part of a modern lay Buddhist
> lifestyle (socially and emotionally demanding in relation to family, job
> etc.) creates psychological stress, tensions, disappointments, and even
> mental problems.

 My guess is that most meditators would agree that their practice is helping
them deal with  "psychological stress, tensions, disappointments, and even
mental problems". This is an interesting question, though, and one that
deserves careful consideration and nuanced answers, rather than pious
generalizations.

> I don't know whether some have developed this thought further in relation
> to Western Buddhist practice, but it would seem highly  relevant. Many
> Western Buddhists are caught in a dilemma. Their background has made them
> skeptical to a mythologized Buddha, to ritualism and to a strongly
> devotional, master-disciple- and faith-demanding kind of Buddhism. So they
> seek the rational Buddhism of Theravaada or Soto Zen meditation centers.

These are very broad generalizations, indeed. I myself have often been
surprised at how readily many Western convert Buddhists accept devotional
practices as well as 'Asian' ceremonies, ritual forms, ways of dressing and
eating and chanting et cetera - at least in the context of formal practice
at a temple or center. Of course, all this is likely to interpreted in a
different way by Western lay people than Asian monastics, but that is a
different issue. One could also speculate that Buddhism would gain an even
wider following in the West if it were more thoroughly stripped of its
(quasi) Asian trappings. Also, I don't know what you mean by 'rational
Buddhism', but at least Soto Zen practice is often a very formalized affair.

> anyway, are such quietistic practices well suited to people living busy
> lives full of all the Western mental stuff like  etc.?

Why wouldn't they? And, btw, why on earth do you label experiences like
relationships, love
affairs, career opportunities, and divorces "Western mental stuff"?

> After all, no pali sources (as far as I am aware of) recommend meditation
> for lay people, but daana, visits to stupas and other devotional
> practices. But the modern West does not accept limitations, we demand it
> all: love, sex, career AND nirvana (or at least occasional satoris).

Another good point, I think. But, of course, despite all the stresses of
modern life, this is also a time when relatively many lay people have the
means to devote themselves to a fairly demanding meditation practice.

Best wishes,
Per D