[Buddha-l] MPNS & Buddha-nature (Lusthaus)

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Mar 22 09:49:11 MST 2005

> Yes, but we are not talking about colophons.  The balance of the internal
> evidence suggests that the core MPNS was compiled somewhere in the Indian
> subcontinent.  One such kind of evidence is flora and fauna -- the
compilers
> had a detailed knowledge of certain Indian flora and fauna.  Of course,
this
> does not prove anything by itself but it is cumulative.
>................[clip]
> Best wishes,
> Stephen Hodge
=========================
Being interested in the flora aspects, I would think that the names of
Indian flora and fauna, but especially flora (because the kinds of fauna
often used in such literature are rather standard, like snakes, lions,
tigers, peacocks, etc) , would be a good check on the location of origin of
such a text......assuming that many of such plants don't grow in China (even
if some of them do)...
so I wonder how the Chinese translators dealt with terms for flora unknown
to them?
Best,
Joanna