[Buddha-l] Re: Rational or mythological Buddhism and Western Buddhist lay practice

Mikael Aktor MA at e-tidsskrift.dk
Thu Mar 24 02:20:45 MST 2005

Richard Hayes wrote:

 >> After all, no pali sources (as far as I am aware of) recommend
 >> meditation for lay people, but daana, visits to stupas and other
 >> devotional practices.

 > Heaven forbid that anything should be different from what the Pali canon
 > describes.

I did not mean to be fundamentalistic. I just wanted to stress that
religious practices are not independent of life styles. In a monastery
meditation is protected by regularity. Although early Buddhism rejected
extreme asceticism, it still endorsed renunciation and demanded sexual
abstinence of those who took it up. And also many later Buddhist schools
kept running monastic institutions. Why? I don't think this is only a
matter of sociology (not having children to care for), but because
sexual abstinence as a "body technique" (in a Maussian sense) affects
the mind in ways that are considered necessary for higher
concentrations, although I admit, this is only a guess. But why else?
----------

 >> Or does our busy Westerner have to make the (rather un-Buddhist)
 >> choice that in the West Buddhism is (only) a philosophy, not a
 >> religious practice?

 > I guess I was absent the day the announcement was made that you had been
 > appointed to tell the world what is Buddhist and what is un-Buddhist.
 > You're not off to a very good start, in my view, unless you can tell us
 > what philosophy is and what religious practice is.

I'm just speaking conventionally here. You're right, "religious
practice" can be almost anything. But here I'm thinking of meditation.
"Philosophy" - prototypically - is based on intellectual, discursive,
critical reasoning. It follows a problem were ever critical reasoning
leads it to. In contrast, meditation - prototypically - stays with a
preselected focus. It's not intellectual or discursive, but suggestive.
In much meditation the practitioner is guided to transcend intellectual
reasoning in favor of sheer mindfulness or concentration. Althought the
starting point may be an analytical reflection, this is only to lead to
a meditative stand-still. Then, of course, there are the border line
cases: Paul Williams claims that Madhyamaka analysis was meditative.
Some see the epoché of the phenomenological school as meditative. I
don't know if any of these claims are valid.

Best wishes,
Mikael

--
Mikael Aktor, Assistant Lecturer, PhD