[Buddha-l] Protestant Buddhisms

Bradley Clough bclough at aucegypt.edu
Sun Mar 27 09:16:47 MST 2005

On Mar 25, 2005, at 11:35 PM, Richard Nance wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:39:52 -0700, Richard P. Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Similarly, if one is
>> interested in what Buddhists do and did, then reading texts about what
>> they ought to do is quite silly.
>
> This seems like an obvious point -- and it's one that Schopen raises
> repeatedly -- but I'm not sure it's right. Why assume that norms and
> practices can be separated so neatly?

I agree, and I'm not convinced that the whole body of Pali texts, for
instance, are merely normative with no connection to actual practice.
For example, there are several instances of monks disputing over right
practice or references to arhats who took different paths (AN Tika
Nipata, Kaya-Puggala Vagga;  AN III 355-356; SN II 115ff; SN 119-123).
etc.). In none of these episodes is one way deemed better than the
other. it doesn't seem that any "norm" is being preached. Why dismiss
the possibility that debates such as these or like these did happen,
and that the different approaches discussed weren't actual paths that
different practitioners adopted? Yes, we have to be careful about
assuming that the scriptures are direct descriptions of practice, but
that doesn't mean that the texts don't contain many references to what
was likely practiced by the people mentioned.

Brad Clough
The American University in Cairo
bclough at aucegypt.edu