[Buddha-l] Re: Rational or mythological Buddhism and WesternBuddhist lay practice

Mikael Aktor MA at e-tidsskrift.dk
Mon Mar 28 10:19:55 MST 2005

Richard P. Hayes wrote:

>>With all due respect, I don't see why merely having wives, mistresses or
>>pets would, in and of themselses, would impede begging. Beggars throughout
>>history have had wives and children, whom they often inveigled into begging
>>as well.
>>

>Religious mendicants in Magadha at the time of the Buddha were expected
>to be celibate. If you read the commentaries to the vinaya rules you
>find it said again and again that Buddhist monks were expected to follow
>various rules, lest the village people talk. Apparently one of the
>things that caused villagers to talk was religious beggars who had
>families to support.

Villagers talk if religious beggars have wife and children, presumably
because men with wife and children are expected to live the life of a
householder (like the villagers), not that of a renouncer. Mendicants
are regarded as renouncers and cannot have a family. The only legitimate
reason to take up the life of a religious mendicant is renunciation,
which implies the endeavor to conquer sensual desire. Why make it
anymore complicated?

mikael

--
Mikael Aktor,