[Buddha-l] Buddhism, drug use and LSD

Michael Rolig michael.rolig at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 17:40:16 MST 2005

I always understood the case to be the same as the Buddha's experience
with other forms of meditation: yes you can attain different
meditative states, but these are not enlightenment, because they are
temporary.  Attaining very high meditative states may give you a
"spiritual experience", as could drugs, but enlightenment is not a
"spiritual experience, " rather a way of existing without suffering.
If LSD gets you a "spiritual experience, " but fails to liberate you
from suffering, I don't think that's enlightenment, it's just a
temporary band-aid.

Michael