[Buddha-l] Re: Rational or mythological Buddhism and WesternBuddhist lay practice

Mikael Aktor MA at e-tidsskrift.dk
Thu Mar 31 02:00:49 MST 2005

Richard P. Hayes wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 00:44 +0200, Mikael Aktor wrote:
>

>>Even without a very thorough knowledge of Vinaya texts, is seems logical
>>that attaining nirvana must rest on transcending the attachments created
>>by - among other things - a sexual life.
>>

>That is completely illogical. [...] What is necessary to attain the abandoning
>of desires is simply knowing that desires, when fulfilled, leave one's
>craving unfulfilled. [...]

OK. I take that point.

>[...] I have argued from a doctrinal level as those
>doctrines are articulated in Buddhists texts.

Yes, and I have probably been mixing up doctrine and various practical
aspects. As masturbation is classified as a sanghaadisesa offense a monk
gets the impression that jerking off is really not conducive to
"abandoning desire", whatever the actual reason for the rule may be.
Monks will soon know the principle that "desires, when fulfilled, leave
one's craving unfulfilled", but to make that an embodied knowledge that
really changes one's sexual behavior is some way to go. Meanwhile they
will have to balance between knowing the principle and drawing the
consequences in actual behavior. If no consequences are drawn I think
that the monk in the long run is likely to feel disappointed or even
hypocritical about his own efforts.

- thanks for the exchange. For me at least, it has been rewarding.

mikael

--
Mikael Aktor, Assistant Lecturer, PhD
University of Southern Denmark