[Buddha-l] Buddhism, drug use and LSD

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 31 05:11:19 MST 2005

Stefan Detrez schreef:

>Now, to get back to a question undiscussed until now: what about
>'moderate' drug use? A 'middle way' in mind altering substance use?
>What good reasons are there to approve or decline getting high from a
>Buddhist point of view?
>
>Stefan

To me this is a matter of phronesis, practical wisdom. I don't believe
in any causality here. I mean I don't think anyone gets bodhi through
starvation, LSD, philosophy, getting hit, an upcoming flue, meditating
or humping a tree. But sometimes these things might help. Some practices
are more often usefull and for more persons then others. I myself don't
see much good in taking LSD at the moment since my experiences with
cannabis and mushrooms didn't help very much. Meditation and philosophy
seem to be for me much more convenient and helpfull, but it might be
different for others. In the end I think some philosophy is unavoidable,
because in order to have a bodhi experience one has to know that one
experiences it and understand what it is. Perhaps one gets a better
understanding of life when one is in extreme situations and the routine
judgements don't fit anymore.

erik