[Buddha-l] The measure of things (from our website)

John Willemsens advaya at euronet.nl
Mon Apr 3 03:16:32 MDT 2006

We do not believe that the human regime, let alone any particular aspect of
it, such as the advance of human understanding, is the measure of things in
space and time, but that the whole of infinite existence is. We are
convinced that the objective of the Middle Way expounded by the Buddha as
the correct existential attitude is the abandonment of all fixed views and
to reconnect and reconcile us with overall existence and that the Middle Way
in its dynamic Noble Eightfold Path form must be seen as an ongoing
reflexion at the level of our personal lives of overall existence becoming
over time now in its right direction. In Advayavada Buddhism to follow the
Eightfold Path is therefore not seen as a means to become something else in
the future, but indeed as the way to become rightaway as overall existence
becoming over time here and now. It is this process of being as existence
now that we experience in human terms as progress and which makes us
conclude, by induction if you will, that indifferent overall existence, also
expressed purely in terms of human perception and experience, progresses as
well. Nirvana is when we experience our own existence in the present moment
as being completely in tune with existence as a whole becoming over time
now. To experience our own existence thus causes the total extinction of all
suffering as a direct result of our full reconciliation with reality as it
truly is.
John Willemsens.
http://www.euronet.nl/~advaya/qanda.htm