[Buddha-l] Re: Panchen Lama

Bernie Simon bsimon at toad.net
Sat Apr 15 10:15:53 MDT 2006

Baopiguy at comcast.net wrote:

> Sounds like he finally got the message after a
> few decades.......happy to hear it....but since
> he's not really a traditional Buddhist (although
> he chants daily he is "Mahayana" as part of his
> "Heart Sutra" practice) it's not for me to
> criticize....except everyone seems to believe he
> is a traditional Buddhist practitioner.

The word "traditional" means different thing to different people. I'm
not sure in what sense the Dalai Lama is not traditional. Maybe because
he believes the world is round, is opposed to what it says in the
Abhidharmakosha? Tibetan lamas who teach in the West make some changes
to make the teachings more acceptable to their egalitarian, fun
seeking, dogma and ritual averse Western students.

----
spring winds
hoping the flowers burst
out in laughter