[Buddha-l] rebirth

Richard Nance richard.nance at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 07:57:52 MST 2006

On 2/1/06, Joy Vriens <joy.vriens at nerim.net> wrote:

> As I wrote, apparently "satyam", rather than "truth" and all the
> connotations that word can have for Westerners, means something like
> ritual exactitude. The Four noble infallible formulas? Satyam seems to
> be more concerned with the workings of the world than with an underlying
> "truth" to identify with (or whatever). But I am not a Sanskritist, nor
> a connoisseur of Indian philosophy.

Since I'm busy recommending articles, Matthew Kapstein (who is both a
Sanskritist and connoisseur of Indian philosophy -- he wears many
hats) wrote a useful piece on this some years back. See "The Trouble
with Truth: Heidegger on Aletheia, Buddhist Thinkers on Satya."

It's included in *Reason's Traces* (Boston: Wisdom, 2001), pp. 205-229.

Best wishes,

R. Nance