[Buddha-l] Dependent arising variants

Dan Lusthaus dlusthau at mailer.fsu.edu
Thu Feb 2 01:00:23 MST 2006

Mike,

Garfield seems to miss the point of these four conditions. They are not
really four different ways of describing the same event (lights on), but
each entails a different sphere of activity (though some events can involve
more than one of the four conditions).

Here is the verse (I've infelicitously inserted some hyphens to highlight
the main terms, violating all sorts of linguistic rules to do so)

Catvāraḥ pratyayā hetuśc-ālambanam-anantaraṃ /

Tathaiv-ādhipateyaṃ ca pratyayo nāsti pañcamaḥ //

So the four are:

1. hetu-pratyaya

2. ālambana-pratyaya

3. anantara-pratyaya

4. adhipati-pratyaya

Whether hetu pratyaya can be reduced to efficient causality depends on which
school of Buddhism one is looking at (my impression is that Dharmakirti, for
instance, pretty much reduces all causality to efficient causality --
Richard can correct me if that is wrong).

Alambana is concerned with cognitive conditions, not wiring.

Anantara basically involves a cause immediately preceding its effect,
without gap. This is a way of dealing with causal chains, sequential
occurrences, series, etc. This one Garfield seems to get right.

Adhipati-pratyaya usually involves a specific list of causal factors (heat,
life, male, female, etc.), most commonly a list of 22 such factors.

Have fun mixing and matching these four with Garfield's explanation.

cheers,
Dan