[Buddha-l] rebirth

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Thu Feb 2 02:30:09 MST 2006

Stefan Detrez wrote:

> One possible reason for the Buddha to retain the 'belief' in rebirth is
> 1) to have some incentive for moral behaviour, and 2) for the teaching
> not to resemble nihilist philosophies like the lokayata or carvaka.

Possibly, but then it begs the question was such incentive necessary and
why should the teaching not resemble nihilist philosophies? I think he
simply "retained" it because he believed in it, although not out of
choice like is the case for many of us, but out of habit, because it was
taken for granted as you say.

> But
> basically one can assume that belief in rebirth was taken for granted,
> so in this sense the Buddha had more affinity with Brahmanism, then with
> countercultural ascetics who did otherwise. Maybe a close tie between
> khattiyas and brahmins is suggested by this affinity.

The Buddha seems a fine mixture of Dionysos and Appolo, non-dualism and
dualism, which creates a strong dynamic. Later developments seemed to
have stressed one of those aspects or both, without ever resolving the
enigma. Not unlike our good friend Jesus.

> If you ask me, the references to rebirth are scarce and the content of
> its discussion is often vague in the suttas.

Yes, that is the impression I have too.

Joy