[Buddha-l] Re: Where does authority for "true" Buddhism come from?

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Fri Feb 3 09:32:29 MST 2006

On Feb 2, 2006, at 7:58 PM, Vicente Gonzalez wrote:

> What proof?.
> Do you have some proof that you are not dreaming your own life?

Dear Vicente,

It is plumb difficult to prove the non-existence of anything at all.
I have spent half my life trying to prove that there are no
leprechauns, dragons, selfs, true Christians (versus nominal ones),
real Buddhists, etc. and have failed every time.

Thus ariseth the truth: It is the responsibility of the person making
the claim that something extraordinary DOES exist to establish the
proof of the claim. In the absence of any evidence, the person who
does not make the claim is under no burden of responsibility whatsoever.

So, prove that we are dreaming our lives and I will buy you a
vegetarian pizza.