[Buddha-l] Dependent arising variants

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 3 09:35:24 MST 2006

Dan Lusthaus schreef:

>So the four are:
>
>1. hetu-pratyaya
>
>2. ālambana-pratyaya
>
>3. anantara-pratyaya
>
>4. adhipati-pratyaya
>
>< >
>

>Alambana is concerned with cognitive conditions, not wiring.

It is the material object that causes knowledge.

>Anantara basically involves a cause immediately preceding its effect,
>without gap. This is a way of dealing with causal chains, sequential
>occurrences, series, etc. This one Garfield seems to get right.

It is the preceding moment of a dharma that causes next dharma to
appear, without this any dharma could come from any dharma.

>Adhipati-pratyaya usually involves a specific list of causal factors (heat,
>life, male, female, etc.), most commonly a list of 22 such factors.

Where did you get this, Dan?
I've read another explanation: it is in fact another kind of causation.
I would translate it as dominating obsessions and trauma's. There are
two kinds: internal and external. The internal one is an idea or emotion
that influences perception or thought, the external one is a perception
that is dominant over other perceptions and influences them.

>>< >
>>
>> Suppose that you ask, "Why are the lights on?" I might reply as
>> follows: < >. Or, (4) "So that we can see." This is the
>> dominant condition. Any of these would be a perfectly good answer to
>> the "Why?" question. But note that none of them makes reference to any
>> causal powers or necessitation.

Here Garfield appearantly remembers the final cause of Aristotle.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms