[Buddha-l] Re: Where does authority for "true" Buddhism come from?

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Sun Feb 5 08:40:26 MST 2006

On Feb 4, 2006, at 7:47 AM, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> Something real can only exist in time. So time must be real. Only
> the present moment exists however. The past is only what we
> remember and the future is what we expect to happen. Time without
> past and present cannot exist, therefore time doesn't exist, so
> nothing exists.
> In a more positive way several philosophers (a.o. Eliade, Husserl
> and Bourdieu) have stressed that we make time by thinking back and
> thinking ahead. So we do indeed dream our lifes (together).

Time is the thing other than distance and energy that changes when
two or more bodies move in relation to each other. If there were only
one body or if nothing moved there would be no time. (Maybe, if the
universe is actually one thing as its name implies, there is no time
for the universe.)

Oh dear! Now I am completely confused!