[Buddha-l] Buddhism and blasphemy

Jørn Borup jornborup at mail.dk
Sun Feb 5 09:45:59 MST 2006

Dear colleagues,
I am sure you Americans are used to the situation from different parts of the world, but is it strange a quite worrying to be a Dane seeing one's flag and embassies being burnt and listening to death and bomb threats - because of some rather innocent news paper illustrations of Muhammed. This is not the forum to discuss the ethics or politics of such actions or reactions. It does, however, make you wonder about the differences of religions, and personally I am quite happy to study and teach Buddhism. I know, however, also of some instances of Buddhists being hurt by illustrations or actions, calling for respect for their religion. Reactions and demonstrations against Buddha Bar, t-shirts with Buddha motives, commercials and movies (e.g. Buddha in Hollywood) using Buddha in apparently un-ethical ways have been part of modern Buddhist responses to what has been called blasphemy. Now, do any of you know about articles describing historical of modern situations of "Buddhism and blasphemy"? My personal favorites from the Buddhist world on such matters are the Zen iconoclastic stories and especially Ito Jakuchu's painting of "vegetable nirvana" with the dying Buddha replaced by a radish (daikon). How wonderful!

Regards,
Jorn Borup
Denmark