[Buddha-l] Rebirth and a Footnote

Peter D. Junger junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu
Mon Feb 6 13:10:41 MST 2006

I have just posted the following entry in my blog at
<samsara-blog.blogspot.com>:

                     My Favorite Footnote

  My favorite footnote is footnote 8 in Robert Nozick's State,
  Anarchy, Utopia (1974) where he quotes an old Yiddish joke:

    "Life is so terrible, it would be better never to have been
     born."

    "Yes, but how many are so lucky? Not one in a thousand."

  This takes on especial significance in the context of the
  Buddhist teaching that the goal of Buddhist practice is to free
  oneself--and others--from the cycle of rebirth.

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
 EMAIL: junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu    URL:  http://samsara.law.cwru.edu