[Buddha-l] Buddhism and blasphemy

Vicente Gonzalez vicen.bcn at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 18:28:28 MST 2006

Dan Lusthaus wrote:

DL> The world -- especially the Islamic world -- shows no such restraint when it
DL> comes to Judaism. See, for instance
DL> http://www.honestreporting.com/articles/45884734/critiques/Offensive_Cartoons.asp

look, offensive cartoons against politics are everywhere. But I cannot
remember of any offensive cartoon against Mosses neither I'm seeing
any of that style in your page.
Even more, Muslims also were strong protesters against the Scorsese
Christ film, because Jesus is a main prophet for them. And also the
Jewish prophets.

For Islam, God or Al-lah express himself in this world in a
progressive way. In a first expression by means the Jewish religion,
in where there is an establishment of rules and revelation. In a
second by means Christ, in where we are in the adolescence of the
human being to find a love-union with God. Finally, by means Mahoma
and Coran, in where they say that it is the final revelation to
achieve this goal.

Therefore, all the prophets of the 3 monotheistic religions are sacred
for Islam, and we cannot find any joke about any of them.

You can check by yourself how they don't react with cartoons about
Christ or Mosses.

DL> The British Political Cartoon Society even awards such things awards as
DL> "cartoon of the year." The Iranians are now running a competition for
DL> Holocaust cartoons, and a Dutch-Muslim newspaper printed some cartoons, one
DL> of Anne Frank literally in bed with Hitler, as their "response" to the
DL> "offensive" cartoons. Where were all of you protesting these "offenses"?

I don't have any intention to enter in a spyral of non-sense not here
neither in my mind. And you are an intelligent guy able to write a
book about Yogacara, then for sure you think the same.

For me, it is very clear that it is just a political problem arising in
a non spontaneous episode. I think that there is an intention in
promote conflicts between Europe and Islam in the middle of problems
with Iran, Palestine, etc.. I don't know about politics.

But If I am a simple citizen and I'm not so silly of not seeing that
intention, I'm sure the European and Islamic rulers already they
should be are aware of this.

Unfortunately, in this world today there is people working for war.
We individuals we are not able to deactivate this, but at least we can
put distance when seeing elemental things. As in this supposed
conflict between freedom of expression and the lack of respect.

One time I wrote you that this Times are not fecund in using
imagination to invent lies. So here there is another example.

best regards,