[Buddha-l] Paying through the nose

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Wed Feb 8 08:03:17 MST 2006

The cost of providing buddha-l majordomo was recently mentioned by
someone making a stupid joke that was supposed to be at Richard
Hayes' expense.   Well, it backfired, and now all kinds of kind and
generous people are suggesting that everyone pitch in to help pay for
the service.

I have suggested that the expense is trivial, and it is trivial. I
have worked with and for and around my ISP (Southwest Cyberport or
swcp) since 1990. I have launched several websites and discussion
groups over the years (Remember the old buddhist discussion group
from Australia that specialized in text collections and libraries ? I
sponsored it from this same ISP for several years. It didn't cost me
more than two cups of coffee a month either.)

Fact is, I pay swcp annually. My payment secures internet services
for me and my wife, three websites, two majordomos, and some services
to some organizations who don't realize where the service comes from.
If I had kept my keyboard shut only Richard and I would know I paid
for this one. My total annual bill is a little over $200. So, how
much/month do you kind fellows want to send me? I estimate Buddha-l
cannot cost much over $5.00/month, if that much. It is cheaper than
driving to town to get my mail one time.

So, I am not a philanthropist, I am not wealthy (nor need I be), and
I am not sacrificing anything I want very much anyway (except,
perhaps my equanimity -- and that only if I actually read buddha-l).

Now. If you good folks (and I mean that) don't leave me alone I will
send $100 bucks to swcp and endow this accursed outfit for the next
two decades!! Do you want to wish that upon an unsuspecting world?

Jim Peavler

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755