[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Blasphemy

Jørn Borup jornborup at mail.dk
Thu Feb 9 13:57:59 MST 2006

Well, Mike, you were not the only one. There were some (ethnic) Buddhists
who were quite offended by the bikinis, and forced the produceres
(Victoria's
Secret og Ondademar Clothing ) to stop producing them - just like some
Buddha Bars have been closed in Hawaii and Singapore (see also protests
agains the newest bar in Dubai here:
http://www.sinhalaonline.com/buddhabar.html), Cds with Buddha Bar music were
confiscated in Thailand and Sri Lanka,
the movie Hollywood Buddha had to make a new poster without the actor
sitting on top of the Buddha's head after demonstrators in Sri Lanka,
Thailand and Nepal had shown their protests, a Burmese site has a whole
range of products to protest against
(http://www.triplegem.plus.com/news1.htm) and recently I visited a
Vietnamese temple (in Denmark) doing a signature collection campaign against
a French producer of Buddha carpets (asking what they would do if the
carpets were not withdrawn, they laughed "then they will get bad karma").
Sorry for starting up this issue, which easily provokes us all to express
some political standpoints that might not have much to do with the idea of
this forum, but I simply find it interesting to also relate to "our" field.

Jorn Borup