[Buddha-l] Philosophy East & West

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 12 08:13:44 MST 2006

Richard P. Hayes schreef:

>On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 22:33 +0000, Stephen Hopkins wrote:
>

>>Institutionalised parochialism on the part of western philosophers
>>

>This is much less the case nowadays than it was a couple of generations
>ago, back when Ryle could say "The only light ever to come out of the
>East was the sun." Now it is common to see positions in Jobs for
>Philosophers in which it is announced that universities are seeking
>candidates with an AOC (area of competence) in Indian or Chinese
>philosophy. I really don't think the reason why so few philosophy
>programs have no opportunity to pursue Asian philosophy as primary
>specializations is anything to do with parochialism. Rather, I think the
>problems are largely practical.

The discussion is older and has to do with the same sentiments that some
people in Europe have to accept Turkey as a member of the EU. They feel
that Europe must stay christian (what ever that may be).
Hegel: 'The (universal) Mind sleeps in the African, dreams in the Asian,
but is awake in the Westerner.
Schopenhauer: 'The West has a lot to learn from Indian philosophy'
(quote from memory, so the words is may not be exact.)

--

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms