Fw: [Buddha-l] Causality and Western philosophy

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Sun Feb 12 13:43:19 MST 2006

Hi Joanna--
I too share your attitude towards pratityasamutpada.
When I teach early Buddhism, after the traditional bio of Siddhartha, I
begin with pratityasamutpada as the foundation of most Buddhist concepts
and practices. I use David Kalupahana's "Pratityasamutpada" text book
and find it very helpful.
Although Buddhism focuses on P-S in the context of arising of dukkha,
that focus would not work well for most Western philosophy. I'm guessing
that P-S might work in a philosophy of science courses, where one does
an analysis of causality in general. I wonder if it would be useful in a
psychology course?
Bob