[Buddha-l] Question

Ngawang Dorje rahula_80 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 02:49:26 MST 2006

Hi,

  I aske this question because this is one of the excuses iven by many authors in explaining Gotama's renunciation.

  I wanted to know whether it is historically correct? Is the concept of four asrama pre-Buddhist? I have read somewhere that there used to be only three, instead of four.

  Thanks,
  Rahula

Ngawang Dorje <rahula_80 at yahoo.com> wrote:
    Hi,

  It is said that during the time of the Buddha it was considered quite normal and honorable for a young man to retire from the life of a householder.

  Is this true?

  Thanks,
  Rahula