[Buddha-l] Re: Causality and Western philosophy

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Mon Feb 13 05:34:42 MST 2006

On Sunday, February 12, 2006, Joanna K. wrote:

> As   for  psychology  studies,  to  the  degree  that
> psychology   is   often   presented   in   terms   of
> essentialist  concepts,  or  concepts  that are often
> taken  that way (e.g., to name just some obvious ones
> -- id, ego, superego, or "the" unconscious), seems to
> me  that  a  good  critique  from Buddhist philosophy
> might be a worthwhile stimulus for class discussions.

   In  Spain,  Psychoanalysis is only briefly deal with
in History of Psychology and Psychology is studied as a
science  (essentialist  concepts are seen as anathema).
I'm  not  sure that Buddhist philosophy has much to say
to  current  Psychology,  but  I think that it's always
worthy to keep it in mind. :-)

   Best wishes,

   Beni