[Buddha-l] Re: Censorship ...

Bshmr at aol.com Bshmr at aol.com
Mon Feb 13 09:19:59 MST 2006

Buddha-l members,

I am critical of some dynamics within the alleged censorship here.

First, several have commented as if censorship was being imposed instead of
voluntary. I presume that these others received the same off-list allegation
that I did. That notice was precise yet it did result in deceptions. Thus, the
 note could be a sample of unskillful speech, either in the writing or in the
 reading.

Second, the note took a ((s(he))it) perspective which, as is usually the
case, was manipulative or directive. Yes, there were 'I-statements' interspersed
but clearly the intent was to mobilize others into a specifically personal
fantasy. Again, it seemed unwholesome and has bred illusions.

Third, these incidents present a thematic conflict between power and
understanding, or something like that. For example, I noticed the  following:

COMMERCE IN THE AGE OF TERROR: RESTRUCTURING THE WORLD TRADE ORGANIZATION
AFTER THE LONG WAR Ari Afilalo and Dennis Patterson and Ari Afilalo [ A
difficult 'abstract' in Word *.doc format. ]

The Kantian, rules based approach to conflict resolution, which the
Europeans now routinely advance as an alternative to what they view as the  Hobbesian
slant of the United States, is derived in part from this  experience.

Also, I am a big World Values Survey (WVS) fan.  A popular graphic  (
_http://wvs.isr.umich.edu/fig.shtml_ (http://wvs.isr.umich.edu/fig.shtml)   )
illustrates that 'Old Catholic European' societies are proximate to what I  refer to
as a 'herdling' or a messianic cluster while so-called liberal values  are
scattered. The import being that fundamentalists are very similar to each  other
and act to promote conformity.

This classic conflict has been demonstrated repeatedly in discussions (so  to
speak) here.

[ As an aside: One liberal would hope that the dogmatic and Mess-I-Anic
'herdlings' would experience insights from the practice of the Dharma/Dhamma and
dharma/dhamma and would stop proselytizing non-herdlings. It is not going to
happen in this life-time so it is perfectly understandable that 'herdlings'
should be devoured occasionally so that they maintain a respectable distance
and  are relatively quiet. ]

Finally, I ask that members consider that some maladaptive patterns do
appear from time to time on 'boards'. One of the most common is the
Rescuer-Victim-Persecutor cycle which is taught in dysfunctional families every  where every
day. Please recognize when it is being acted out and respond with
understanding or leadership as fits non-herdlings or herdlings as your case may  be.
Think of it as skillful listening, or something.

Richard Basham