[Buddha-l] Yoga Consultation CFP

Stuart Ray Sarbacker s-sarbacker at northwestern.edu
Tue Feb 28 20:36:28 MST 2006

Colleagues,

Following the deadline extension, we too would like to strongly
encourage people to consider submitting a proposal. We will look at
this year's response as an indication of what areas are drawing
particular interest in the academic community with respect to the
topic, so we hope there will be an enthusiastic response.

Best Wishes,
Stuart Sarbacker
Northwestern University

*****

Yoga in Theory and Practice Consultation
Stuart Ray Sarbacker, Northwestern University, Department of
Religion, 4-140 Crowe Hall, 1860 Campus DR, Evanston, IL 60208, USA;
W: 847-491-2615; s-sarbacker at northwestern.edu. Christopher Key
Chapple, Loyola Marymount University, Department of Theological
Studies, Los Angeles, CA 90045, USA; W: 310-338- 2846;
cchapple at lmu.edu.

This new consultation seeks to elucidate historical and philosophical
issues related to the theory and practice of yoga in its historical
contexts and contemporary manifestations. We are interested in
proposals that address thematic issues in the study of yoga and those
that address issues of sectarian and religious identity associated
with yoga. For 2006, we especially welcome proposals relating to the
following topics: 1) Buddhist and Jaina yoga; 2) The "dark side" of
the guru; 3) Meditation and ethics in yoga; 4) Late medieval to early
modern yoga; and 5) Yoga and Tantra. We particularly welcome
proposals that address issues such as the relationship between theory
and practice in sectarian traditions and the pervasiveness of
spiritual and religious ideologies in manifest or latent form within
contemporary yoga.