[Buddha-l] Buddhist Plays?

Michael Wright myquagga at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 2 12:24:59 MST 2006

I came to this list at the suggestion of a friend, and
though many of the discussions are way over my head
(not only am I relatively new to the study of the
Dharma but I'm a creative writing/theatre/film person
and completely unschooled in philosophy, asian
studies, etc.) I've enjoyed getting to read the
exchanges posted here.

A Buddhist acquaintance in New Zealand suggests that
she and I might undertake an anthology of Buddhist
plays.   She was basing this thought on the relatively
recent volume called NIXON UNDER THE BODHI TREE, which
is a collection of stories that relate in some way to
Buddhism (the collection is introduced by the
marvelous Charles Johnson, who's on this list and the
friend who aimed me at it).  I've gathered a few
titles from another list I belong to (dramaturgs) and
wondered if anyone here might have a suggestion or two
as well.

Criteria: plays which either directly address
Buddhism, the Dharma, the Buddha, or related topics,
so long as Buddhism is in some way foregrounded.  One
playwright offered a play about Jesus in which the
influences of Buddhism and Islam are explored; I
turned it down because Buddhism was not the central
topic.   I suppose we're limited to contemporary plays
as well, though if there are older works that would be
theatrically engaging to modern readers we would
consider them.  The works should be in English, though
translations are welcome; doesn't matter if they're
previously produced or published.

Thanks and happy new year to everyone.

Michael

Michael Wright
Applied Associate Professor of Creative Writing and Theatre
Director, The Interdisciplinary Program in Creative Writing
The University of Tulsa
(918) 631-3174, fax (918) 631-5155