[Buddha-l] it's not about belief

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Jan 4 09:37:20 MST 2006

This site provides a glaring example of the kind of muddled thinking
that comes from failing to adequately distinguish between Christianity
and the rest of the world's Religions. Specifically the statement:

"The  history of science is replete with discoveries  that were
considered socially, morally, or emotionally  dangerous in their time."

applies only to Christendom. There has never been any other Religion -
not Islam, not Judaism, not Confucianism, not Buddhism, not Hinduism,
not Paganism, not Zoroastrianism, not Taoism, not Shinto, not Santeria,
etc - that has ever actively opposed scientific progress - or that has
viewed scientific discoveries to be "socially, morally, or emotionally
dangerous." How's that for a strong hypothesis? I would be very
interested to know of any counter-examples.

The statement quoted also possibly contains an implicit assumption that
"science" is a uniquely European project that began in the 17th century
of Our Lord. That would be even worse.

- Curt