[Buddha-l] it's not about belief

Jim Peavler jpeavler at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 5 13:11:58 MST 2006

On Jan 3, 2006, at 9:05 AM, curt wrote:

> The idea that 90% of humanity is "able" to hold beliefs without
> evidence, while the other 10% is incapable of this, assumes that
> human intellectual history began with the First Council of Nicaea,
> which it did not. In fact, it nearly ended with the First Council
> of Nicaea! Prior to that time anyone who believed things without
> evidence was considered mentally or morally deficient - or both. As
> they should be.

Oh dear, oh dear. The utterest green horse pucky. I am no
archeologist or anthropologist, but I know from extensive reading in
such subjects and in cultural history etc.  that damned near every
primitive society in the history of the globe show strong evidence of
believing in things for which there is no evidence: e.g., deer
paintings in neolithic caves are assumed by most people to indicate a
belief that doing the paintings and possibly using the paintings in
rituals assured that hunters would be lucky with deer. American
aborigines wear dear hides and heads in dances in rituals clearly
connected to the hunt. I suspect, but cannot prove, that having
rituals expressing friendliness toward the deer-people actually makes
them more susceptible to becoming meat for the table.

There is a lot of evidence that a lot of people, including most non-
xians, believe in things for which there is no evidence. For example,
I believe that somehow all the letters I write to my national leaders
about things of the highest seriousness may, somehow someday actually
make some small difference in things I hold important. I don't have
any evidence of that so far, however.

Like, for example, kill the patriot  act!!

Jim Peavler

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755