[Buddha-l] it's not about belief

Jim Peavler jpeavler at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 5 16:57:48 MST 2006

On Jan 5, 2006, at 3:46 PM, curt wrote:

> Jim Peavler wrote:
>>
>> And, there is strong evidence that Islamic groups have  strongly
>> opposed scientific progress and scientific ideas.
>>
> The phrase "strong evidence" implies (strongly) one or more pieces
> of evidence. I noticed that, unless mere assertion of existence
> counts, you provided no "evidence" of this "strong evidence". Do
> you have any? Or just more bullshit?

I don't have the time nor the interest at this moment to go look it
up a lot of references, but just to mention one you might read http://
www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/7568/ in its entirety. It comes out
looking pretty much like fundamental xianity except that it claims to
be friendly to science (so long as it is based on the existence of
and control by Allah. Or try http://www.harunyahya.com/
c_refutation_darwinism.php on Darwinism. And http://
www.themodernreligion.com/verses_sci.htm, strangely, finds
prefigurations of many modern sciences in the Quran. Some of the
arguments are pretty amusing.

There are lots of sites online that have similar information, by
believers in Islam about science. Some argue that mathematics offer
certitude and show the miraculous creation of the universe by Allah.
I think the greatest hostility of Islam against a scientific idea is
the one they share with fundamental xians -- evolution, and there are
heaps of anti-evolution writings by Islamic authors.

And of course anything I say must be assumed to be at least part
bullshit.