[buddha-l] it's not about belief

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Jan 6 10:00:40 MST 2006

Richard P. Hayes wrote:

>My claim is that human beings on the whole are quite capable of
>irrationality. I submit the entirely of recorded human history as my
>evidence. And since the human race as a whole has done a very poor job
>of being rational, I think it is mistaken to single out Christianity as
>having a monopoly on irrationality, or intolerance or violence. And it
>seems to me you have tried to to just that. You seem to have got stuck
>in an adolescent neo-Romantic (almost neo-Nazi) fantasy about noble
>savages, honorable pagans, and wise Asians, all having their utopias
>disrupted by nasty Christians.

There is no need to "ennoble" any savages or anyone else in order to
make an argument that Christianity falls at the extreme end of the
intolerance scale. Also I take strong exception to any comparison of
anything to I have said to Nazism, neo or otherwise. Accusing other
people of Nazism in lieu of actually responding to what they say is
usually a sign that a person is loosing an argument and has decided to
engage in a shouting match instead.

Pagans and Asians have been systematically ridiculed and marginalized by
western intellectual culture. It is possible to swim against that
particular stream without being either a Romantic or a Nazi. A simple
example of the kind of attitude I am talking about is the common usage
of the word "guru". This word is usually uttered with contempt and with
the implication that the person so designated is a laughable deluded
megalomaniacal fool. The word simply means "teacher" - and to use it
with an implied meaning of "power mad buffoon" reveals a fairly obvious
negative bias against Asian religions. I believe it is completely
reasonable to speak positively about Pagan Philosophers and wise Asians
"teachers". If you prefer to only ridicule them, and anyone who thinks
highly of them, that's fine, too.

>I may have caricatured your position slightly, but that is only because
>I am trying to make sense of what you write. As far as I can tell, you
>don't really have any position at all.

On the contrary, my position is quite obvious: (1) Intolerance is not an
intrinsic quality of Religion. (2) Christianity has a well attested
history of intolerance. (3) Religions other than Christianity have
varying degrees of intolerance - but nothing that even comes close to
track-record of Christianity - with the exception of Islam. That you
disagree with positions (1) and (3) is quite obvious. But to say that I
have no "real" position is both disingenuous and specious.

>You just like to argue against
>whatever anyone else is saying, in the manner of what the Indian
>scholastics called a vaitandika. (That's okay. I do that sort of thing
>myself. It's fun. Making frivolous and capricious claims and offering
>carping criticisms of other people's positions is partly what buddha-l
>is all about. Posing bad arguments is a service to readers, because it
>helps them cultivate skills in critical thinking.)

I agree with this - although it has nothing to do with my contributions
to this particular discussion.

- Curt