[Buddha-l] it's not about belief

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Jan 6 17:13:00 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 18:23 -0500, SJZiobro at cs.com wrote:

> If the case centers around Jesus' historical existence, then not only
> the Gospels, but the Gnostic Gospels, the Talmud, the Koran, etc.
> attest thereto.  That is the point of the case, isn't it, whether
> Jesus existed?  The truth claims as to his divinity are another
> matter.

Fair enough. The case in Italy seems to me quite a stupid legal case. It
makes no difference at all whether Jesus existed. Hardly any reasonable
disputes that. But now that the case is in the courts, it will be
interested to see what counts as evidence to lawyers and judges. (Me,
I'm just a Buddhist epistemologist. What do I know?)

--
Richard Hayes
***