[Buddha-l] Modern Advaita sages

Andrew Fort a.fort at tcu.edu
Mon Jan 9 19:39:02 MST 2006

I think Vivekananda was a great neo-Vedantin, and Ramakrishna clearly more a
Shakta Tantrika.  As far as modern masters of traditional Advaita, I think
Ramana Maharshi and the Shankaracharya Chandrashekarendra Sarasvati were
fine exemplars.  If anyone is interested enough in the issue, I discuss this
in my book Jivanmukti in Transformation (SUNY Press, 1998).
    But I agree with various folks that the important thing is whatever
teaching makes humans more serene and compassionate.  Andy Fort