[Buddha-l] Modern Advaita sages

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Jan 10 21:27:20 MST 2006

Richard P. Hayes wrote:

>I'm what Jung called a feeling type, not a thinking type. I
>recently retook the Myers-Briggs test. When I read the results, it said
>that there were certain professions it would be best for me to avoid. At
>the top of the list was "professor of philosophy." Oh well. Fortunately,
>at the top of the list of professions I would find fulfilling was
>"moderator of buddha-l." I didn't believe any of this, of course. There
>was no evidence.

I've got Sonu Shamdasani's "Jung and the Making of Modern Psychology" on
my to-read list. From skimming it and looking at excerpts I've gathered
that Shamdasani makes one very interesting point about Jung: no one has
ever taken more seriously the question of what it really means to
scientifically study the human mind. I think that most "modern"
psychologists, you know the type - they say things like "the mind is
what the brain does" and crap like that - they just blindly accept a
cookie cutter ideology of science, without ever really looking at it.
Jung "root wrestled" with questions like what kind of evidence is
possible and what kind of evidence is really important. Of course he was
also a hopeless romantic. Imagine - talking to people about their dreams!

Just for kicks I did a google search on "root wrestle". Most of the hits
appear to be sites in chinese about how to break into Unix computers.

- Curt