[Buddha-l] Eckhart Tolle

Vaj vajranatha at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 11 05:27:22 MST 2006

Hi Richard:

On Jan 10, 2006, at 6:11 PM, Richard P. Hayes wrote:

> Read with care, if you are going to play with the big boys on
> buddha-l,
> Vaj.

There are big egos everywhere Richard, not just here. Seems to be an
occupational hazard for some scholars.

>> And it can effectively turn someone from their path or (as is popular
>> in Neo-Advaita circles) to stop their sadhana, so they can "live in
>> the now" and stop 'putting their enlightenment into the future'.
>>

> If somebody quits her sadhana just because she thinks she's
> enlightened,
> I think the blame may lie with the quality of her discipline, not with
> neo-advaita.

You're not getting it--they are not stopping their sadhana because
they think they're enlightened, but because they are told that's
dualistic and is reinforcing their own dualism. There's a certain
wisdom in this, although not necessarily in this approach. Perhaps as
you investigate this broader phenomenon closer you'll see what is
being talked about in this instance. Go to some neo-satsangs. Do your
field research. Then share. I'd love to hear your impressions.

Have you had any first hand experience with non-dual teachings in
Buddhism or Vedanta? That might be a help also.

-Steve