[Buddha-l] In Praise of Eckhart Tolle

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Jan 11 22:10:59 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 21:43 -0500, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> As a minor but significant historical note -- it was
> the infusion of Islamic and Judaic science into Europe that sparked the
> Renaissance whose scientism Richard is now so eager to celebrate.

Give me a break, Dr Funhouse. First, I have never advocated any form of
scientism. Scientism (which is usually used as a pejorative term) is the
view that science is the only reliable means of attaining knowledge, and
I have never said anything even close to that.

Second, I think there is an important distinction between science done
by people who happen Jews and Muslims (of which there is a huge amount)
and Jewish and Islamic science (of which there can, under most current
definitions of science, be no such thing).

--
Richard