[Buddha-l] Hindutva california textbook controversy #2

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 15 13:31:41 MST 2006

I've read about this censorship in Hinduism Today and it's not an
isolated incident.
Some years ago I was on the Indology list and suddenly new subscribers
came, most with Tamil names. From that moment on the debate about the
Aryan Invasion Theory, i.e. that Sanskritculture was introduced into
India by Aryan invaders, never was off and became ever more nastier. All
classical arguments were called signs of Western Neocolonialism. At last
all the old  indologist just left the list.
Three months ago two surgeons in New Delhi made the headlines in local
papers with the accusation that meditourism caused the death of Indian
poor people because the tourists occupied the beds that were needed to
treat them.
It's clear that there's a wave of conservatism, xenophobia and
nationalism going on. Not only in India but in many places all over the
world. Question is what causes this? My guess is that there is a new
class of people who want recognition and want it fast and who have the
means now to force it. People who were powerless and nameless before,
but now try to enter the game and bend the rules into their favour.
What can you do? Convince them with retorics? I think that's impossible
because their reasons don't come from outside. Maybe the best thing is
to do what we do best: educate people. For the rest we may have to sit
it out and hope for better times.

--

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms