[Buddha-l] Nudity was: Re: +AFs-Buddha-l+AF0- Sense and sensibility

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Thu Jan 19 05:40:47 MST 2006

Chris wrote:

> If by 'monks' you mean wandering ascetics, some are naked, most are not.
> Some naked ascetics are Saivite, many are not.

When Danielou talks about the Nature cult of Shiva-Dionysos, he means
the pre-aryan, pre-vedic form of it, that appeared or was "codified" in
the 6th millenary before JC and that spread itself via the Sumerians in
the Middle-East, Creta and continental Greece from the 4th millenary
onwards. I am not sure about these "facts" (both in favour or against),
but I find many parts of his theory quite plausible. The cult or rather
the various cults under that attributed header were severely attacked at
different times and it obviously had to adopt quite a bit in order to
survive, or rather whatever currents adopted itself managed to survive.
I think it is quite likely that the further one goes back in time, the
more ascetics/Saivites tended to be naked. Btw monk comes from the the
Greek: monachos, which designs a solitary person. Danielou also called
followers of Shiva/Dionysos bhakta/bacchants, he sees a link between
those words.

Joy