[Buddha-l] Re: Meditating Buddha

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Thu Jan 19 16:08:42 MST 2006

On Thursday, January 19, 2006, Stefan Detrez wrote:

> Archetypical for Buddhist art is a meditating Buddha.
> However, one can wonder WHY a Buddha has to meditate,
> assuming the he/she is enlightened, and enlightenment
> excludes the necessity of (further) meditation.

> Any thoughts?

   I  think  that  the relevant question is a different
one,  "Why  should not the Buddha meditate?" After all,
he  didn't  want to teach but enjoy enlightenment until
his  final nirvana. So I think that deep meditation was
the  "natural" state of the Buddha and that he went out
of it just for the sake of beings like us.

   Best wishes,

   Beni