[Buddha-l] Re: US/UK Buddhalogy again

F.K. Lehman (F.K.L. Chit Hlaing) f-lehman at uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 20 11:09:39 MST 2006

I didn't get this in in time, but I hope I can insert it now

Come now! In UK, there's the legacy of former
Burma and Sri Lanka/Ceylon colonies, which
spawned the enterprise of Pali scholarship --
obviously Theravada, not least institutionalised
in SOAS and at Oxford. In America, this is
absent, but, for reasons two of you have already
more than hinted at, Buddhalogy has been in large
part fed by (a) 19th Century News England
Transcendentalist romanticism and
pseudo-orientalism, and (b) the silly mid 20th
Century search for 'Oriental' mystical insight to
'find oneself'. In the latter case, it was added
to by the politics of the Tibet Problem and the
rise to international prominence of HE the Dalai
Lama.Moreover, we can take not of another,
possibly cross-cutting distinction: Theravada
scholarship in UK is in considerable measure
focused upon the canon, pariyatti, whilst in the
US (*hardly astonishing), it is all Vipassana, so
that even Burmese monks who come to America and
lead our monasteries here are almost all
Meditation orientated to nearly the exclusion of
anything else chiefly Mahasi Sayadaw followers.
One would not suppose, seeing only Burmese
Buddhist institutions in the USA, that Burmese
Theravada IN BURMA (OK, Myanmar, if you want)
had, as it does, a major, very live, pariyatti
component (lay and monastic alike for obvious
symbiotic reasons), as  in such Nikayas as the
one I relate to, the Shwegyin.

In America, though, there ARE leading scholars of
Theravada, indeed of pariyatti Theravada, such
Frank Reynolds and his associates of the older
generation, and the rising Burmanologist
(Reynolds', Collins' and my pupil) Jason Carbine.
Also, one of the reasons for some of this is
that, in America, so much of Buddhist scholarship
has been by anthropologists, who do, as you know
(Yes, I am an anthropologist also -- mea culpa!)
tend to go for the exotic and folk practice, on
the grounds that that is what is 'real', i.e.,
'of  The People'

So, Stefan Detrez's binary distinction may be too
simplistic and linear. Moreover, pace Richard, it
is the intellectual legacy of the New England
Transcendentalism that is at work here, despite
the fact, if  fact it be, that Emerson was not
like the caricature of the movement that informs
later American intellectualism. But I defer on
such things to others here, since i am (Thank
God, in whom, as a Buddhist, I have no belief)
not a philosopher and not a literary man, and
have no particular interest in either Emerson or
Thoreau,

I apologise for the fact that my e-mail client
does not allow me to type diacritics

--
F. K. L. Chit Hlaing
Professor