[Buddha-l] Buddhist psychology

Hal Cooper hal_cooper at verizon.net
Sat Jan 21 22:41:00 MST 2006

My question is, is there a similar story in Buddhism, or, if not a story, a
similar recognition of the same principle of psychology, that is, that
trying not to think of something can lead to that very thought?  I am trying
to track down the exact sources and citations so any sort of direction to
primary sources (sutras etc.) where this principle might appear in the
Buddhist tradition would be tremendously helpful.

Dave

Hal> You could take a look at the use of doubt in meditation.  It was first
introduced by the 6th Chinese Patriarch Hui Neng as the Huato.