[Buddha-l] Re: Jesus is Buddha?

STEPHEN BAMBER 05010715 at hope.ac.uk
Wed Jan 25 02:40:29 MST 2006

Warm greetings from Liverpool UK,

Interestingly, in 'A John Hick Reader' (Badham, P., [ed.], Macmillan,
London, 1990: 108)

"Thus Gautama was the dharma made flesh, as Jesus was the word made
flesh: indeed the Burmese translation of the New Testament treats the
Dharma as the equivalent of Logos, so that the opening sentence of St.
John's gospel reads

'In the beginning was the Dharma....'"

Hick references this:

J.O.Percy (ed.),'Facing the Unfinished Task: Messages delivered at the
congress on World Mission' Eerdman, Grand Rapids, 1961: 9

Kind Regards,

Stephen. B.

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, curt wrote:

> Jesus is not Buddha. Jesus is God. Kind of. Please refer to the
findings
> of the Council of Nicaea of 325, as revised by the Council
> Constantinople in 381.

Curt,

Why not suggest the Prologue to the Gospel of John?  There Jesus is not
kind of God.  But I wonder if there might not be some manner by which
the
Christian understanding of Incarnation might be conceived as grounded in
the trikaya.  Of course, there is likely no one-to-one correspondence to
any of the kaya wih any of the Persons