[Buddha-l] Where does authority for "true" Buddhism come from?

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Jan 26 13:01:32 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 12:48 -0700, Richard P. Hayes wrote:

> (N.B. I am paraphrasing Emerson. The actual quotation can be found by
> searching the complete works of Ralph Waldo Emerson at
> http://www.emersoncentral.com )

Oh, very well. The quote comes from the 1844 essay called "Nature" (from
his second series of essays.

\begin{quote}
Astronomy to the selfish becomes astrology. Psychology, mesmerism (with
intent to show where our spoons are gone); and anatomy and physiology,
become phrenology and palmistry.
\end{quote}

--
Richard Hayes