[Buddha-l] Re: Where does authority for "true" Buddhism come from?

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Jan 27 11:17:12 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 11:19 -0500, ronleifer at aol.com wrote:

> When I first went to see Khenpo Khartar Rinpoche, the first thing he
> said to me is "Whether you believe it or not, there is rebirth.
> Otherwise you could do anything you want with no consequences."

What an odd argument, eh? I have never believed in rebirth or in any
kind of personal afterlife, and yet it has never occurred to me that any
action of mine would have no consequences. It has always seemed obvious
to me that every actions has consequences. It's just that sometimes the
consequences are suffered by people in the future and in other
countries.

Thank heavens for people with the wisdom of your mentor, Thomas Szasz,
and (if I may say so) yourself.

--
Richard