[Buddha-l] Re: Where does authority for "true" Buddhism come from?

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Fri Jan 27 11:59:16 MST 2006

On Friday, January 27, 2006, Richard P. Hayes wrote:

> It  is  an  example of what Gregory Schopen calls the
> Protestant tendency in Western Buddhist studies [...]

   After  having  spent  some  of  my  day  reading the
Schopen's  article  suggested by Richard Nance, I don't
find  it convincing at all. However, I have also read a
quite  interesting  online  article by Alexander Wynne,
"How  old  is  the  Suttapit.aka? The relative value of
textual and epigraphical sources for the study of early
Indian Buddhism" (St John's College, Oxford Unicersity,
2003), that can be read here:

http://www.saigon.com/~anson/ebud/ebsut055.htm

.

   Best wishes,