[Buddha-l] Re: Where does authority for "true" Buddhism come from?

Chris castanford at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 07:44:21 MST 2006

On 1/28/06, Benito Carral <bcarral at kungzhi.org> wrote:

>   I'm going to quote the Buddha:

Tell me, Benito, by what authority are you "going to quote the Buddha"?

Did Sidartha actually tell you in person what you are quoting? Did you hear
those exact words straight from the Buddha's mouth - with your own ears? And
were you able to construct an accurate transcript of what you thought you
heard him say?  Or are you in fact not just repeating what someone else
wrote about what *he* thought the Buddha might have said, and only done so
some several hundred years after Sidartha said? (If in fact he ever lived.)

I really need to get a handle on your definition of 'evidence' in this
rather protracted debate. Can you help me out here?