[Buddha-l] rebirth

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Sat Jan 28 12:53:34 MST 2006

The one thing that bothers me when folk say that they accept rebirth
because the Buddha taught it, is that the Buddha taught other things
which the same people want to reject.

Most of those knowledgeable in Pali texts can quote lengthy sections
which are plain false and merely reflect the knowledge of those who
lived 500 or 400 BCE. Mt. Sumeru is not the center of the earth.

This suggests to me that folk have to pick and choose which doctrines
they will accept (on authority) and which they will reject (despite the
authority of the Buddha behind the claims).
This is like those who say the Old Testament is the word of God, and
quote from it to condemn certain kinds of behaviors, yet they never
mention that god finds if an abonimation to eat shell fish and it is an
abomination for women to wear the clothing of a man.
Since we all pick and choose from among the wide variety of doctrines
found in our sacred texts (Bst. and Xian), I cannot in good faith simply
believe one doctrine "because the Buddha taught it" and yet reject
another doctrine which the Buddha did teach and which is false.
Bob Zeuschner