[Buddha-l] rebirth

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Sun Jan 29 03:44:11 MST 2006

Franz Metcalf wrote:

> I was interviewing him for
> my dissertation on various subjects and he was talking about his work
> with the homeless and hungry and all of a sudden it dawned on me that
> these were "hungry ghosts," pretas. I was simultaneously abashed at my
> narrow-mindedness at never realizing this before, and grateful and
> fearful for this new perspective and the responsibility toward these
> beings it implied.

Hi Franz,

In the introduction of the first Bhavanakrama, Richard refered to,
Kamalashila stresses the importance of universal karuna. This universal
karuna is developped by focussing on the various types of suffering.
Through showing that these types of suffering are (also) experienced by
humans, it is clear for me that this spiritual exercise aims to develop
a greater awareness of suffering and the omnipresence thereof, by
focussing on the different types of suffering rather than on different
typs of beings. To include these types of suffering, that are
traditionally attributed to different realms, in our human experience,
they become more real and recognisable. It is also a way of recognising
the suffering of humans, that otherwise could risk dissapearing into
thin air in comparison with the "greater" suffering of the lower realms.
I am not sure anything is gained by seeing other humans as hell beings,
hungry ghosts or animals (btw I am sure that is not what you intended to
say).

Kamalashila wrote a series of gradual spiritual exercises (the title).
The word coming back regularly is bsgom (bhavana). He is not describing
a reality but spiritual exercises that in this case are meant to develop
universal karuna. He is not "teaching the six realms".

Joy